The Negligence and Motor Vehicle Accidents
As with other types of accidents, deciding out who is at fault in a traffic accident is a resolution of determining who was neglectful. In many cases, your gut feeling will tell you that a cyclist, driver or pedestrian ran carelessly, but not what rule or rules that person violated. An attorney will look to several sources to help you determine who was at fault for your accident, such as police reports, state traffic laws, and witnesses.
Several Factors in Determining Whether a Driver Was Negligent in a Car Accident
Courts look to many factors in determining whether a driver was negligent. Some of these factors include, but aren’t limited to, the following:
- Failing to signal while turning.
- Disobeying traffic signs or signals.
- Disregarding weather or traffic conditions.
- Driving under the influence of liquor or narcotics.
- Driving above or below the posted speed limit.